Monday, June 9, 2008

What Am I Doing in FSM?

I am teaching Accounting and other Business Courses in the College of Micronesia - National Campus. I joined the college in Fall 2006. On the 8th of September, I will celebrate my 2nd year here.

My teaching experience in Pohnpei is so unlike with what I had in the Philippines. Here, we have to be much more focused on the learners - which is the different from that in the Philippines, where the schools set the standards and the students meet that certain level of excellence.

In motivating the students in Micronesia, I have to consider the difference in Philippine culture and values with that of the theirs. Good thing, feelings are universal and so, Micronesians and Filipinos alike love to talk about love, courtship and marriage (LCM). Hehehe...

What does Accounting and other Business Courses have to do with LCM? Believe me, there are just some too technical terms that can be better explained by LCM - like the different types of business combinations. Really??? Yes. Truly. Absolutely, yes. If you want to know, please enroll in my Finance class.

By the way, this is not what I wear when I come to work. :)





No comments: